RICHMOND - The B.C. government is launching an innovative plan to transform education so that every student can excel and thrive in a rapidly evolving world.
Today at the fall meeting of BC Student Voice, Education Minister George Abbott addressed student leaders and launched BC's Education Plan to build on the system's strengths and put students at the centre of their own learning.
BC's Education Plan, developed in consultation with teachers, parents, students and education partner groups, is based on the principle that every learner in the province will realize his or her full potential.
The plan consists of five key elements:
- Personalized learning for every student.
- Quality teaching and learning.
- Flexibility and choice.
- High standards.
- Learning empowered by technology.
BC's Education Plan outlines both the need for transformation and the steps required to move the current education system from good to great. B.C.'s education system will be enhanced by:
- Continuing to place emphasis on basic core skills, while redesigning curriculum to include key competencies like critical thinking, insight and teamwork - the kinds of skills and knowledge that students will need to succeed in the 21st century.
- Supporting families with greater opportunities for parents to engage in their child's learning, and adding more flexibility and choice with respect to what, how, when and where their child learns.
- A new Teachers Act with a regulation system that puts the public interest first, with the goal of increasing public confidence in the profession's disciplinary processes and raising the stature of the teaching profession.
- Establishing regular teacher performance evaluation sessions.
- Implementing effective intervention strategies and supports to more quickly identify struggling students and address their specific needs.
- Policies that allow students to bring their own high-tech devices - smart phones, tablets and other multi-media tools - to school, if these devices will enhance learning.
BC Student Voice (BCSV) is a group of student leaders working in co-operation with educators who meet regularly to review provincial directions, gather support for regional initiatives and facilitate development of school and district student voices. Their mission is to empower students to address their needs, interests and concerns by strengthening, at all levels, the links among students and their partners in education.
View BC's Education Plan and find out how you can get involved at: www.bcedplan.ca
For further information on BC Student Voice, visit: www.bcpvpa.bc.ca
Government Communications and Public Engagement
Ministry of Education